It was a new century and things in the technology arena are just exploding. The thing called the internet was booming and then it crashed. But, my website was coming along as I was using Frontpage and I registered my first domain name on April 23, 2003. So it was just picking up.
Someone named Mark Zuckerberg was one of several founders who thought up something that was a social site for people. Well, it was a girl ranking web site, and it went to some other Ivy League schools, like MIT, Columbia, Stanford, and Yale. Then it expanded.
In 2006, something called the Facebook and anyone could join if you were the age of 13 and up. Eventually, it just called Facebook. Here is a timeline of Facebook
- First Intern was hired in 2006
- The valid email address of 13 or older, could sign u.
- 100,000 pages for companies in 2007
- Microsoft bought a 1.6% Share in it for $240 Million. Facebook was valued at $15 Billion.
- 2009 Organization pages came about
- Dublin, Ireland was the first International office in 2008
- 2012 had the apps for smartphones
- 2012 IPO, raised $16 Billion, and it started at $38
- The 1 Billionth user joined
- Had a lot of lawsuits
It is a force of nature, and it could be a good thing or a bad thing. It helps keep people connected to people in their lives. So how would or should Facebook be used in a perfect world.
- Keep friends connected
- Keep high school friends connected once you graduate.
- Keep colleagues connected (networking)
- Be positive
- Help people
However, it is used for the above and the following:
- Make-believe life’s
- Where people make up fake stuff to make them look better
- Brainwash the weak
I joined Facebook in the year 2008, that was 11 years ago after a friend invited me to. Still not sure how she got my email. But I haven’t looked back. I came across some old Friends and apologized to a few people that I was a jerk to mostly the girls I dated, but that is a different story for a different day. Facebook can be a thing of good. But right now it is mostly used as a puffed place to show off the life you want and a whole bunch of other stuff. I don’t want to get into that because this is supposed to be positive and not a negative post. I hope you enjoy Facebook.